Monday 13 April 2009

Sang Kee

For those who don't know... that's the name of my dad's restaurant...


Growing up, it was just part and parcel of my life... I used to have my lunch after school at the restaurant, had numerous family dinners there, spent countless hours to tend to the shop (which I resented at times...) and did many chores including washing the dishes, cleaning the squid, peeling prawns, preparing 鱼生 for chinese new years, waitressing, cleaning up tables etc. when we didn't have enough people working in the shop...


Sure, I do like the food there... some of my favourite dishes include: 炖汤(soups), 三王蛋(century egg and salted egg steam eggs), 奶油苏东(buttermilk fried sotong), 生虾生面(fresh king prawns fried noodles), 铁公鸡(fried chicken wings), 古老肉 (sweet and sour pork), 扣肉(pork belly with yam), 马来风光(sambal belacan kangkung), 虾米冲油豆腐(toufu with fried garlic, onions and dried prawns), 蒜米煎银雪鱼 (deep fried cod fish) etc.


But I never thought that it would be "famous"... I mean there are times when I so much rather go down to Petaling Street and buy other food such as Ipoh keow teoy, beef noodles, porridge, asam laksa etc...


Surprise, surprise... the restaurant made it to one of the popular eatery shows in Malaysia (which by the way, my friend actually watch it without me telling her to do so and emailed me to say... why did you not tell me that your dad's restaurant is featured in it???)





And not only that, it's being featured in this book about good food in South East Asia....




And a food critique blog entry... on 星州米(Singapore fried vermicelli)


I guess because I grew up eating the food, I took it for granted and never appreciated it as much as others!!!!

The next time you drop by KL, do try it out for yourself... like I say, I told my mum that if anyone turns up with a picture with me, they'll get a free meal!!! Hahahaha.....






1 comment:

Sook Leen said...

Wah...i've known you for 14 years now, u never invite me oso :-(

I've got lots of pictures with you, imagine all the free meals!!!!

p/s: how was Sardinia?