Tuesday 23 June 2009

Giving back to the community

Due to the credit crunch, this year my department has decided that we will not be having our annual Away Day and Summer Ball... well apparently these events cost the firm the annual salary of a manager wor...

SO... instead, we are going to be participating in a community event... my team was assigned to paint a nursery which runs on charity for those children from disadvantaged neighbourhoods...

We painted the nursery in this really bright yellow!!!

(And oh... by the way... the guy in the right picture who is standing up is the legend actuary in my department, he was the one who founded the department and usually when he predicts something, it's always right!!! And the other guy in the same pic is my reviewer/group manager...)




Everyone working hard...



And ME ME ME... I also painted the walls!!! (And obviously the lower end of the walls...)




Well... I really did enjoy the whole event even though I didn't end up painting a mural... and when the teachers thanked us, I felt that we really did made a difference to them!!

I am all for giving back to the community and doing this kinda stuff (like when I was in uni, I was a volunteer student tutor)... as you can make an impact on someone else's life... I guess in a way, it also taught me to be appreciative of what I have and what I have been through... true, I may not be born with a silver spoon, but at least I am more privileged than any of these children and they have been through so much more than me...

That said, I do miss the away days... where we get to be pampered and go to the spa... hehehe... :P


No comments: