Sunday 12 November 2006

The name game - what do you call your blog??

Fresh with my enthusiasm to create a blog of my own, the first hurdle was to come up with a title for the blog. Phew... it was difficult!! (okay, I have to admit that I AM quite uncreative when it comes to writing!) Anyway, throwing in the towel at this stage would be unacceptable(How am I supposed to maintain the blog if I give up even before creating one!!!), so I turn to good old Google for some inspiration...



Well, I did come across a few very interesting websites:



The first one... some blogger designed a programme in C plus to actually tokenize the blog names by whitespace and punctuation, and place the resulting words in a hashmap for counting purposes. This gave him a list of words used in blog titles and their frequency. And surprise!surprise! the most popular word is blog, (okay, I may not be on the creative side.. but how original can one be if the title of their blog is 's blog??) which is followed by words such as life, weblog, world, from, journal, news, thoughts, with and daily. That's the top 10 list, which doesn't really give me much inspiration.. as the author of the blog aptly put it and I quote from him - This leads me to conclude that any blog named, “My blog/journal/weblog with daily world news and thoughts from life!” will be a smash hit - DUH!!! (and rolling my eyes!)



The next site that caught my eye... Random title generator for blogs... aha... this might be just what a lazy and unimaginative person like me needs! There's two options, whether you want a funky or formal name... sounds good so far... a funky title is just what I need :P so happily, I clicked on the generator button with great anticipation... but, er... the 1st one that came up was violet office... and the 2nd one green group... 3rd one empty images.... tsk tsk... I don't think I need to elaborate anymore... the rest of the not-funky-at-all names that came up included bushy diary, geeky notebook, crumpled chronicles, dramaking's news etc.. okay, I don't think I want to name my blog with any of these titles!! Perhaps a random generator is not such a good idea after all... I guess the title of my blog should really reflect something about me (though one of the random titles that came up was shopaholic's addictions - okay, that may be true but that's another story.. perhaps I'll share some of my retail therapy trips some other time!!)



Anyway, back to my search... after browsing a dozens of webpages... I gave up! For once, I couldn't find an answer on Google... so, it's back to picking at my brains.... and I FINALLY decided on a quote that I've read in Sophie's World (interesting book by the way... anyone read it?) So, the title of my blog is now officially "... such stuff as dreams are made on... "

Well, we all need dreams in life - they are there to keep us going and to give us hopes that one day our dreams will come true! I always see myself as someone who is practical, but I do have my share of dreams and I do secretly hope that they will come true... I guess it's my motivation to change my life for the better!!



So... to all who's reading this, never stop dreaming! And may all your dreams come true!! :)



(Sophie's World - Thanks to Mr Jostein Gaarder for the inspiration on my blog title)

4 comments:

Clare said...

oooooo welcome to the world of blogging! aka wasting time, crapping on and on about things that aint that important and posting only pictures that you look good in :D

WELCOME!!!

stranger said...

haha, can't believe u actually tried to google a name:P

Back to Basics said...

Hey, good way of starting a blog! I never tried creating a blog. Maybe should start doing that. Oh no..but the thought of getting a name for my blog really stops me from even starting! heheeh

sh@n said...

Aaawww... So happy to see THREE comments!! Feel so loved :)