Saturday 18 August 2007

Dog Racing

To keep up with our efforts of spending our weekends out of our comfort Canada Water zone... following the Oriental City trip, we headed to Wimbledon for dog racing last weekend.

Now, don't get me wrong. I really love dogs. I miss my dog when I'm over here (xiao bai, xiao bai... where are you now??) and my heart melts when I look into their innocent eyes.

So, what am I doing at the stadium then? Why am I supporting the very act of cruelty against dogs just so that they provide us, humans with entertainment and a way of gambling our money?

I'm really not supporting the above statement. But, I was just curious to see what goes on at a dog race and I thought it'll be an experience...

Anyway, contrary to what I thought, it's not as bad as it seems. The dogs may not be cute, (well... they are greyhounds, what do you expect? Cute fluffy dogs racing against each other???) but they do look strong and healthy... at the end of the day, there isn't much difference when we watch and bet on other sportsmen racing against each other... The dogs were fighting for glory as well...

Believe me when I say that... just look at how fast they were running! I could barely catch them on my camera!

The bookies waiting for spectators to bet with them. Payout ratios were not too bad... on average, they pay about 1 to 4 for the winning dog...


Us, trying to pose in front of the race track in between the action

My two bets - but unfortunately, my chosen dogs did not cross the finishing line in lead. Oh well, I'm never good at gambling and I definitely do not have luck when it comes to these kinda things... I mean, why else I spend my days trying to quantify and minimise uncertainties? Because if everything were to depend on luck... I don't know how I'll ever make it through life man...

Hehehe... this was not one of the dogs that I was betting on... but it's name is really funny. Try pronouncing it!

Okay, at the end of the day... I did feel a bit bad because the dogs were made to chase a fake rabbit in an attempt to make them run in an orderly fashion... So I promise that this will be my first as well as last time... promise...

No comments: