Friday 31 August 2007

Happy 50th Birthday!


Read from The Star Online paper about the 50th Merdeka Celebrations. A lavish and grand affair, I would say. Happy 50th Birthday, Malaysia!!

In conjunction with the national day, Economist ran an editorial on Malaysia.

I quote from the article:

[... There is much to celebrate. Living standards and access to education, health services, sanitation and electricity have soared during those five decased of severeignty. The country's remarkable modernisation drive was symbolised, nine years ago, by the completion of the Petronas twin towers, in Kuala Lumpur, then the world's tallest buildings.... Yet there will be a hollow ring to the festivities. Malaysia's 50th birthday comes at a time of rising resentment by ethnic Chinese and Indians, at the continuing, systematic discrimination they suffer in favour of the majority bumiputra, as Malays and other indigenous groups are called...... Some are asking: is there really such a thing as a Malaysian?...]

Well, to be honest, I do agree to a certain extent with what the point that the writer is trying to nail down. Sometimes, I do feel that we're treated as second class citizens. Why is it that not all Malaysians are treated equally? I have seen numerous occassions whereby more deserving students are not offered a government scholarship or a place in local universities, more capable personnels not being promoted in their workplace and in the wider context, businesses not being offered market flotations or government contracts JUST because they are non-bumiputras.

Is this fair at all?

I guess most non-bumiputras including myself and people around me have grown to accept that it's part and parcel of life. We seek alternatives and try to make the best out of the situation. And I think in many cases, it is because we're trying to escape the system that we're being driven voluntarily or perhaps sometimes, involuntarily to live abroad. I know many young and bright Malaysians who simply don't return back to Malaysia because they know that being a non-bumiputra makes life less easy for them and many times, less appreciated.

This is a big loss to the country because these bright minds can help build our nation and lead the country to compete internationally. These are people with real talent and the right attitude to succeed, yet the system back home is just driving them away and they only return to the country for holidays when in fact, they could do much more.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love my country and I'M PROUD TO BE A MALAYSIAN. I also have my share of bumiputra friends and I can speak Malay fluently. I'm born and bred in Malaysia. Yes, I had my further education overseas and I'm now working in London. But I have not been westernised. I have not been brainwashed with the foreign culture. In fact, in many situations, I stood for and defended Malaysia whenever she is being critised by my non-Malaysian friends or colleagues. I am very much Malaysian and to me, Malaysia will always be HOME.

BUT, one of the many reasons why I have been compelled to study and work overseas is percisely because of the system. All I want is to learn and work in an environment where I'm not being discriminated for who I am. I want to be appreciated for what I can contribute not for the colour of my skin or my birth rights. Granted, where I am now is not complete meritocracy but it's by far a more challenging and rewarding environment that I yearn for.

That said, to a certain extent... in a very ironic way, it is also because of the system that I'm where I am today. It is because that I know from very young that I'm not "privelleged" that I've never been complacent and it forced me to fight for things that I want in life. It thought me that whatever I want in life, it has to be earned and it will not given to me by birth right. It made me a much stronger person and instilled a fighting spirit in me.

At the end of the day... perhaps this is the true MALAYSIA BOLEH spirit.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, my dear Malaysia.


No comments: